Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Welcome!

Welcome to the Inauguration Day Scarf-Along! Join us in knitting a row or two a day on a scarf that you will wear on Inauguration Day - January 20, 2009. It doesn't matter what your political views are, many of us are ready for a change. The next 12 months are going to be crazy and interesting and unpredictable. I give credit for the idea to a coworker who suggested I start a project that I would knit a little bit on every day until we swear in a new US President.

The scarf can be made of any yarn you like, but I plan to make mine out of the little balls and scraps of yarn that end up piled in the corners of my house.

Basically, you cast on whatever number of stitches you want, in whatever yarn you like, and knit a little bit every day for the next 365 days. Bind it off on January 19th, 2009 and wear it while you watch the next president being sworn into office on January 20, 2009.

You can do any pattern you want - I've listed some ideas below. Mine is going to be basic. I'm planning to do one garter ridge a day in a different color (leaving the ends hanging for crazy side fringe I think). It's going to be a crazy, chaotic, hodgepodge scarf (to match the crazy, chaotic, political hodgepodge I expect we're in for over the next 12 months).

I'll be posting regular updates (maybe on key political days like Super Tuesday and Democratic Convention Day and The Day Mitt Romney Dropped Out of the Race Day) here and on the Knitting Liberally blog.

Anyone is welcome to join in. Join any time, you shouldn't have any trouble catching up since it's just a row or two a day...

Some scarf ideas:

ZigZag
Focus on Fringe (scroll down a bit...)
Noro Striped Scarf (because we love Brooklyntweed)
Meandering Stripes
Kureopatora's Snake

And if some of you are really anal about stripes, but still want to appear to be doing random stripes here's a cool stripe generator.

If you want to join in send me an email and I will authorize you so you can post to this blog.

1 comment:

spoons said...

I'm in!
Let get this year rolling.
tina